etsy mini

Tuesday 10 August 2021

Fiddle mitts for dementia patients

Have you noticed that most activities to help charities involve running marathons, climbing mountains or jumping out of airplanes?  Well I'm not that sort of  person so imagine my delight when I found something that I could do. 

Through a face book friend who is a carer in a home for the elderly I discovered a local project which provides handmade items for patients in care homes and hospitals. Things like lap blankets, bags to fit on walking frames and fiddle mitts. Also called twiddle mitts.

I had heard of these but didn't know much about them so did some research and discovered that they provide stimulation and relieve stress in dementia sufferers. The bonus is they are also fun to make! I know that a lot of people who read my blog are makers so thought I would tell you how to make them. They only take a few evenings and can be given to a friend, relative or local care home. This is a front and back view of the one I have made.

As you can see there are lots of different textures and shapes as well as bits and pieces to stroke and fiddle with.

To make one you first need to knit or crochet a rectangle approx 12 x 24 inches. Decorate one half of one side of the rectangle with things like buttons, flaps, ribbon, tassels etc. anything that feels nice but make sure they are sewn on very securely. This will be the outside of the mitt. 

Leave a gap of about 2 inches and decorate the other half of the same side. This time make the decorations all soft as they will be next to the wearers arm.

Next you need to sew up the long edges of the rectangle so you have a long tube. Tuck the softly decorated half of the tube inside the other half. Now you have a double fabric with decoration inside and out. Stitch or crochet the bottom edges together and run a line of stitching round the top to keep the fold in place. I decided to add a crochet frill at the wrist end but that is not necessary. 
This is the inside of the mitt.


I think I will make a bag to fit on a walking frame next as my mother had one and said it was really helpful as you can't carry things whilst holding the frame.

Happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment