etsy mini

Monday 15 February 2021

Slow stitch . Garden birds in lockdown.

Like a lot of other people I have been looking out of the window a lot more than usual during lockdown. We always put food out for the garden birds and enjoy watching them but with more time I noticed how even the birds that look drab from a distance have beautiful markings.

I considered including them in a piece but my mind was made up when a small flock of long tailed tits moved in. They are not common around here and there was great excitement in the Forey household !

Eventually I decided to collage them on an interesting background and add lots of stitching. 


A robin in the snow.

Close up of a house sparrow. This one is also framed in a hoop.

The long tailed tit.
These took ages to make but I found all of the hand stitching really relaxing. The rhythmic  act of slow stitching is one of those things that soothes and makes me forget the madness going on in the world.

I also enjoyed picking out the fabrics from my left overs stash to make these pieces. The only bit I didn't enjoy was enclosing the back to make everything secure in the hoop and tidy.

Reverse side of hoop.

These are all currently available in my etsy shop. There are also more photos there if you want to take a look.

Next time I will tell you about another project that was bought about by lockdown. Nothing for sale on that one but you might be interested in trying it yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment