As promised here is a photograph of the completed hare felt
I did use the needle felting machine to help in the process. After I 'tacked' the fibres down by hand needle felting I used the needle felting machine to really bind everything together securely. I was also able to include some scrim for a few grasses in the background. I wish I'd used more because they look really effective. Then I wet felted. The only problem I had was having to work quite hard at getting rid of the little holes the machine makes. It was easier than usual to wet felt though and saved my back a bit. The other benefit was that the fibres stayed put when I sloshed the soapy water on.
Here is a close up where you can see the embroidered flowers more clearly.